THEME for 2022
“ASEAN Human Rights Declaration (AHRD): Ten Years On”
Since 2012, the ASEAN Human Rights Declaration (AHRD) has been expected to serve as a regional standard in identifying and addressing multiple issues concerning human rights, fundamental freedoms and democracy. It is anticipated, to a certain extent, that the AHRD guide regional bodies, national governments, and civil society actors to act on multiple, intersecting social, economic, and political challenges. However, on its tenth year of adoption, we are greatly reminded that there is still so much to be done to make ASEAN a safe, brave and empowering region for all.
This essay competition shall give undergraduate students in Southeast Asia a platform to examine the impacts of AHRD over the past ten years. Ultimately, we are keen to know if the Declaration has made any impacts on human rights of ASEAN peoples and how it can be strengthened or reformed in light of achieving a culture of human rights in ASEAN/Southeast Asia.
Essay writers are expected to reflect on and analyze the impact of AHRD at the individual and/or institutional levels. By either examining the document as whole or a particular article found in this regional document, it hoped that entries from all over Southeast Asia can contribute to deepening public awareness and to the improve of the human rights situation in the region.
WHO CAN JOIN? Southeast Asian undergraduate students currently enrolled in a Southeast Asia tertiary academic institution
- Analytical papers written in English within a maximum of 500-700 words (excluding title, references, notes)
- Essays should be original and should not have been previously published elsewhere.
- Essays must be written only by one person.
- Font style and size: Times New Roman, 12 points, 1.5 line spacing, justify alignment
- In-text citations and reference must be in APA (seventh edition) format https://guides.libraries.psu.edu/apaquickguide/intext
- Essays should be submitted in MS Word with file name: Name_Country.(doc/docx)
Essays must be submitted online via the online registration/submission page https://bit.ly/3OSXx7K Extended until 15 September 2022 (23:59 GMT+7)
- One person can only submit one entry.
- Submissions are deemed final. Revised versions will not be accepted.
- Organizers’ Shortlist: AUN-HRE, SHAPE-SEA, IHRP and AICHR will be reviewing and scoring all qualified entries based on the following criteria:
- 40% Analysis
- 30% Clarity and Structure o 20% Originality
- 10% Relevance to the Theme
- Popular Vote: The public will get a chance to vote for their top 3 favorite shortlisted essays. Entries will be posted on the SHAPE-SEA website. Names shall be deleted to ensure fairness and objectivity. The shortlisted essay with the most votes win!
- Expert Panel’s Choices: An esteemed group of experts will be reviewing and deciding on the top three essays for the competition. Deliberations will be based on the following criteria:
- 40% Analysis
- 30% Clarity and Structure
- 20% Originality
- 10% Relevance to the Theme
- Experts’ Choice First Prize: Cash Prize of THB 15,000 (Thai Baht), Certificate of Recognition, and an opportunity to present their winning essay to the AICHR this year.
- Experts’ Choice Second Prize: Cash Prize of THB 10,000 (Thai Baht), Certificate of Recognition and an opportunity to present their winning essay to the AICHR this year.
- Experts’ Choice Two Third Prizes: Cash prize of THB 7,000 (Thai Baht each), Certificate of Recognition and, an opportunity to present their winning essay to the AICHR this year.
- Most Popular Vote: Cash prize of THB 7,000 (Thai Baht), Certificate of Recognition and an opportunity to present their winning essay to the AICHR this year.
Shortlisted essays will be given a Certificate of Appreciation and will be published on the IHRP and SHAPE-SEA Website.
|Call for submission||15 July – 31 August 2022|
|Deadline for Submission:||31 August 2022 (23:59 GMT+7 Bangkok Time)|
|Shortlisting by Organizers:||1-30 September 2022|
|EXTENDED Deadline for Submission until:||15 September 2022 [23.59 BKK TIME]|
|Announcement of Shortlisted Essays:||3 October 2022|
|Popular Vote:||4 – 10 October 2022|
|Expert Panel Deliberation:||4 – 10 October 2022|
|Announcement of Winners:||12 October 2022|
|Presentation and certificate awarding ceremony||3rd week of November 2022|
- ASEAN Human Rights Declaration
- Essay Requirements and Template
- PDF version of the call for submission
- ASEAN University Network- Human Rights Education (AUN-HRE)
- ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights (AICHR)
- Strengthening Human Rights and Peace Research and Education in ASEAN/ Southeast Asia (SHAPE-SEA)
- Institute of Human Rights and Peace Studies (IHRP), Mahidol University
SUPPORTED BY Norwegian Centre for Human Rights (NCHR), University of Oslo
For any inquiries, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org